Barry Town United vs Bala Town | JD Cymru Premier | Match Report

Bala Town visited Jenner Park on Saturday 21 August in a game which saw Barry Town United earn their first point of the league season after a hard-fought 0-0 draw.

Gavin Chesterfield made one change to the side which were defeated by Aberystwyth Town on the opening weekend of the season as Jordan Cotterill replaced Marcus Day.

The home side began the game with a flourish, with Barry fashioning a number of opportunities from wide areas early on. After just 4 minutes, in what was probably the standout chance of the match, Nat Jarvis met a Luke Cummings cross but the striker’s header bounced agonisingly wide.

However, Bala grew into the game and, with their largely direct playing style, were able to cause problems for the Barry defence. Set pieces were a feature of the away side’s game throughout the match and if it wasn’t for a terrific block by Robbie Patten to deny a low driven shot from the edge of the box following a corner on 14 minutes, the visitors could’ve taken the lead.

The latter stages of the first half were somewhat scrappy as Bala’s direct style led to a number of aerial dules which were contested evenly by both sides and there was ultimately a lack of clear-cut chances created.

When the referee blew the whistle to signal half-time, Chesterfield was probably the happier of the two managers as the sides entered the changing room with the deadlock yet to be broken.

The majority of the second 45 was played in Barry’s half as Bala searched for the opener. Through set pieces and a bombardment of balls into the Barry box, Bala were able to assert an ascendancy on the game.

However, Barry’s resilient defending kept the scores level. The chance of the half fell to Bala’s former Wales and Reading midfielder Dave Edwards as he glanced a header towards Barry’s goal from a corner but Mike Lewis (who was ultimately voted Man of the Match by our supporters) made a great save low to his right to parry the ball behind.

Barry supporters watched on nervously for the final minutes of the game as the away side searched for the winner but when Bala’s Steve Leslie sent a free kick wide of Lewis’ goal in the 90th minute, the draw was all but secured and the match eventually finished 0-0.

Gavin and the players will be pleased to have picked up a point against strong opposition this weekend and will now undoubtedly be looking to secure our first win of the league season away to Cefn Druids next Saturday.